I’ve been keeping a list of things to blog about, but I’ve been taking my sweet time and most of the things no longer warrant their own post. So here’s a collection of blurbs about things I meant to post about last month:
- Dix is closed. I wrote about how Dix was going to close, but now it actually is closed. I will miss Caskival and pre-sporting event eating and drinking. It still bothers me that I still can’t comprehend why MJG would do this to me.
- Big Ridge is reopening. Big Ridge moved across the street to a new location because of parking disputes with the YMCA (really YMCA?). My former local brewpub closed down last winter and is now opening in their new location with a revamped beer menu (an IPA replaces the Clover ale). I can’t wait to check it out when I get back.
- BC Beer Awards Awarded. The first annual BC Beer Awards were doled out during VCBW (a rousing success from what I’ve heard). The winners were selected via a blind tasting panel at the Alibi Room. I can’t say they are who I would have picked, but then I’m biased by things like seeing. Canadian Beer News has the list of winners here.
- Dead Frog Pepper Lime Lager. Dead Frog is from small town Langley, where I grew up, and so I’ve long been fond of them. My pride has been replaced with disappointment with Dead Frog’s launch of their bandwagon Pepper Lime Lager. I haven’t tasted it yet, but I can’t imagine it’s any good, although BC Beer gives it a decent review. It is my opinion that lime and beer should only be involved when dropping a fresh wedge of lime into a bad beer like Corona. All other marriages are abominations.
- Phillips is rad. Phillips is brewing CAMRA BC homebrew competition winner Gary Giesbrecht’s Oatmeal Stout and including it in their Showcase mix pack. How’s that for audience participation?
- Berlin. I’m going to Berlin tomorrow morning to meet Erik and drink German beer, woooo!